Skip to main content

You are here

On-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme

Join the discussion and receive transport news, events and updates

When it comes to plug-in electric vehicles, charging at home usually occurs off-street in garages and driveways, a convienient and efficient option. However, in many parts of the UK – especially in urban areas – off-street parking is unavailable to many residents.

By installing chargepoints on-street, residents without off-street parking can enjoy the convenience and value of charging their plug-in electric vehicles at home. As more residents use electric vehicles, communities will benefit from improved air quality and will lower their carbon footprint.

The Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) announced the continuation of the On-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme (ORCS), to increase the availability of plug-in vehicle charging infrastructure for residents who do not have access to off-street parking.

Click here to download a full list of successful ORCS applicants.

 

Funding

  • The additional funding includes £20 million for 2020-21 and local authorities are invited to submit applications to receive this funding
  • Local Authorities can receive a grant to part fund (75%) the capital costs relating to the procurement and installation of on-street electric vehicle chargepoint infrastructure in residential areas 
  • OLEV will provide up to £6,500 per chargepoint installation, and each project should not exceed more than £100k in OLEV funding (applications up to £7,500 per chargepoint will be reviewed on a case by case basis)
  • Funding will be allocated to successful applications on a ‘first-come, first-served’ basis
  • OLEV will now pay 75% of any successful bid upfront, the remaining 25% can be claimed on completion of the project. All costs associated with the installations must be evidenced. If the total project costs come in under the 75% paid in advance, the local authority will be required to reimburse OLEV

 

 Eligibility

- Local authorities must have explicit support of the relevant Highways Authority

- Local authorities are responsible for estimating and controlling project costs and delivery

- Chargepoints must be located in residential areas that lack off-street parking and adhere to OLEV technical specifications

- The OLEV guidance provides further information about the Scheme, what type of projects will be eligible and how to complete the application form.

Application assistance 

Energy Saving Trust is administering this scheme with support from OLEV and can provide advice and guidance to local authorities on the preparation of an eligible and successful application.

Download our ORCS model claim form and ORCS model application form.

Our ORCS Information Pack answers common FAQs and provide valuable information and timelines for applicants. Contact us at onstreetchargepoints@est.org.uk if you need further assistance.

Helpful resources

Contact our team

If you have any questions about the On-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme, get in touch with our experts to find out more.

Email us

Read our FAQs

Discover commonly asked questions about the On-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme.

Open FAQs

Contact OLEV on Twitter

You can get in touch with the Office for Low Emission Vehicles on Twitter (@OLEVgovuk) about the new chargepoint scheme and follow updates using the hashtag #OLEVORCS.

View #OLEVORCS