Community energy has huge potential to reduce our carbon emissions. The obvious benefit for individuals in getting involved in a community energy project is one of scale. You can achieve more as a collective than on your own.
There are all sorts of other benefits for individuals and the areas where projects are located too, including:
- reduced energy bills
- a boost for the local economy, creating jobs and attracting investment
- a sense of empowerment from the ownership of the renewable energy project
- potential for income to fund more local projects
- inspiration for communities to tackle other local issues, like improving transport connections
- showing everyone – young and old – that change is possible