- unlike a conventional plug socket, a charge point communicates directly with your car, making charging at home much safer
- charging time is reduced by 30 – 60%, depending on the car, making charging at home much quicker
Please note that this page contains information and links most relevant for people living in Scotland.
- The 2021/22 Domestic chargepoint funding is currently closed to applications. Please check this page for updates on funding support. If you would like to register interest for any potential funding available in the future, please contact Home Energy Scotland on 0808 808 2282.
Funding towards the cost of home charge points for electric vehicles from Energy Saving Trust and the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV). This funding is available for addresses in Scotland only.
What are the benefits of having a home charge point?
How do I access funding for my home charge point?
As part of its Electric Vehicle Homecharge scheme, OZEV currently offers applicants £350 towards the cost of a home charge point and Energy Saving Trust will provide up to £250 further funding on top of this, with an additional £100 available for those in the most remote parts of Scotland (please see the Terms and Conditions section below for further details).
The initial £350 covered by OZEV will be paid to your supplier directly by OZEV. Any funding claimed from Energy Saving Trust will need to be done so retrospectively – you will pay your supplier and Energy Saving Trust will then provide you with your reimbursement. Any remaining costs above the £350 provided by OZEV and the funding provided by Energy Saving Trust you would need to pay for yourself.
For this, we need you to complete a short application form and also send us a quote from your chosen supplier along with proof of purchase/lease of your EV in advance of the installation. Please note that we cannot offer you a grant if your installation has already been completed.
Applicants need to arrange their installations directly with their chosen supplier and Energy Saving Trust’s involvement is solely to offer grant funding.
Who does the installation?
Any installation carried out by an OZEV-accredited supplier is eligible for the £350 funding that OZEV provide, however to be eligible for Energy Saving Trust funding of up to an additional £250 (or £350 for those in the most remote areas of Scotland), installations must be carried out by one of our approved installers. Search the map below to find approved installers operating in your area.
Please ask your installer if they are approved by the Electric Vehicle Consumer Code for Home Chargepoints (EVCC). The EVCC sets out high standards of protection for installers working with domestic consumers. Members must offer high standards at every stage of the consumer journey so that consumers can have the confidence to install a chargepoint at home. Visit the EVCC website to learn more and find EVCC members.
Domestic charge point installers map
Our Scotland specific map is organised by region to make it easy for you to find installers that operate in your area.
How to use our installer map:
- please select the icon in the top left of the map frame, to the left of the map title, to access the search menu
- select a region to view all charge point installers who operate in that area (if you would like to view another region, please untick your current region before making a new selection)
- click on an installer’s name in the menu, or a number on the map to view the installer’s contact details
Our Scotland specific installer map shows the location of each installer’s main office. The location of this office does not affect their ability to service your preferred area, as many installers employ engineers working remotely.
Please note that your installer must be Energy Saving Trust approved. Only approved installers will appear on the below map.
What is available?
Funding for a 32 amp charge point and associated installation costs.
Steps to getting your charge point
- contact at least one of the above installers and request a quote for a charge point installation at your home – we strongly recommend getting 3 quotes to ensure value for money
- submit your application. To finalise the application you will need electronic copies of your chosen quote and proof that you own an electric vehicle (for instance, an order form or invoice). Further information on the documents required and process for applying can be found on the link above
- if approved, Energy Saving Trust will issue you with a grant offer to cover up to £250 (or £350 if you are in a very remote location) of the cost of the works. Once you have received this you can arrange a date for the works with your chosen supplier. Please remember you must not have your charge point installed before you have been issued a grant offer. If you do this you will no longer be eligible to receive the funding
- once the work is complete your installer will provide you with an invoice for the works along with an electrical installation certificate (EIC)
- once you have paid your invoice, you will receive a paid invoice from your installer confirming this. Send this paid invoice on to Energy Saving Trust along with the EIC and your completed grant claim form and we will be able to process your claim
Terms and conditions
- offer is open to electric vehicle owners (or those with leases) and those that use an electric vehicle through work
- offer is only open for installations at addresses in Scotland
- standard grant value is up to £250. The additional top up of up to £100 is only available to properties in postcodes that fall under category 8 of the Scottish Government’s most recent Urban Rural Classification
- offer is only open to applicants with a vehicle eligible for the OZEV Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme. List of eligible vehicles.
- offer is also open for vehicles appearing on this list that are second hand
- completed application form and other supporting documents must be submitted before installations occur
- this offer is available on a first come, first served basis and Transport Scotland reserve the right to remove this offer at any time
- from 1 July 2019, grant funding will only be offered for the installation of smart charge points in line with OZEV technical specifications
If you have any questions or if you are not sure whether your vehicle is eligible please contact email@example.com.
Energy Saving Trust is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. This fund is subject to availability and terms and conditions apply.