The popularity of ebikes, or pedal assisted electric bikes, has grown yearly. They provide invaluable mental and physical health benefits to employees and can boost operational savings.
Please note that this page contains information and links most relevant for people living in Scotland.
The ebike business loan is closed
- If you're interested in being contacted if the loan reopens next year, you can register your interest using the form below.
About the ebike business loan
If you are considering an ebike for your business and you operate in Scotland, an exciting funding opportunity is available through Energy Saving Trust. We offer an interest-free loan for businesses, repayable over four years.
The eBike Business Loan is funded by Transport Scotland and can help you purchase new:
- ebikes, up to £3,000 per bike
- cargo or ecargo bikes, up to £6,000 per bike
- adapted or electric adapted cycles, amount assessed on a case-by-case basis
An ebike is an electric assisted pedal cycle, usually two-wheeled, whereas a cargo or ecargo bike is specially designed to carry a load. An adapted or electric adapted cycle is specifically designed to meet the mobility needs of the rider; the cycle can be of standardised design and include tricycles, recumbents or hand-cycles.
The maximum funding available to businesses is £30,000. If your business is looking to replace a car or van with a cargo or ecargo bike, there is no maximum loan amount per bike – we’ll cover up to the maximum amount available.
How to register interest
If you would like to register your interest in the ebike business loan should funding reopen next year, simply add your details to the form below.
It’s important that you read the loan eligibility criteria. This document gives full details of what the loan can cover and who is eligible to apply.
You’ll need the following information when you apply:
- If you’re applying as a sole trader or partnership, your most recent tax documents (SA103/SA100, SA800).
- Your confirmation that you won’t purchase the ebike(s) before receiving a loan offer. If you do, we won’t be able to accept your application.
What happens after you apply?
Here is a quick outline of your application journey:
- You submit your application
- We aim to provide you with a response within 10 working days. This could be a request for further information, which can delay your next steps
- You have a loan offer and accept this within 14 days
- You submit all claim documents. Any missing information will be queried, which can delay you receiving payment
- We aim to process your claim documents, within 15 working days
- You’ll receive your funding within 3-5 working days
The National Cycle Database BikeRegister
You may want to consider signing up for BikeRegister, a registration scheme that helps deter bike theft and recover stolen bikes to their rightful owners. The scheme utilises a tamper-proof security label that warns potential thieves through visual deterrent that the bike is registered.
The database is used by all UK police to recover stolen bikes and the service has a free companion called ‘BikeChecker’ to locate missing bikes that have been listed online. Visit the website for more information.
Case study - Tupiniquim’s ecargo bike
Meet Fernando, the owner of Tupiniquim, an authentic Brazilian food stall in Edinburgh. Fernando was keen to find a more efficient and environmentally friendly way to get supplies to the food stall.
He purchased an ecargo bike using eBike Business Loan.