To be eligible for the Low Emission Zone Support Fund, you must meet all of the following criteria (you can also download the eligibility criteria):
1. You must live within a 20km radius of a planned Scottish low emission zone. If you are unsure, a Home Energy Scotland advisor will be able to confirm this when you call them.
2. You must own a vehicle that does not meet the minimum emissions standards of low emission zones:
- Euro 3 or older petrol vehicles – this generally applies to those registered before 2006
- Euro 5 or older diesel vehicles – this generally applies to those registered before September 2015
You can use the Vehicle Checker to see whether your vehicle would be allowed to enter a zone.
The vehicle must hold a current MOT, be fully taxed and must not hold SORN status. If you are unsure, you can check online if your vehicle is taxed and its MOT status.
3. You must have owned the vehicle for at least 12 months with no outstanding finance.
4. You must be in receipt of specific means-tested benefits (eligible benefits are listed below). If you are unsure, or believe you are eligible for a benefit but need help accessing it, a Home Energy Scotland advisor will be able to help.
List of eligible benefits:
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Council Tax Benefit (excluding 25 per cent discount)
- Disability Living Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Income-based Job Seeker Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Personal Independence Payment
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit
5. The Low Emission Zone Support Fund cannot be used in conjunction with Transport Scotland’s Electric Vehicle Loan. This is a standalone fund, and the applicant must not apply for the Electric Vehicle Loan within six months following grant payment from the Low Emission Zone Support Fund.
6. Funding is available for one eligible vehicle per property.
If you are eligible for the Low Emission Zone Support Fund and have received funding, you will also be entitled to further funding support towards sustainable travel measures. See the ‘Travel Better Fund for households’ section for more information.
If you wish to apply for this funding, you MUST NOT scrap your vehicle until you have received a grant offer letter from Energy Saving Trust confirming your eligibility.
If you would like additional information on the scheme, please email: LEZfund@est.org.uk