- the ebike loan is available for up to £6,000 per household
- it is an interest-free loan with no administrative fees
- the repayment period is 4 years
- excluding a deposit contribution, applicants must not make any other payment towards the ebike before receiving a written offer of a loan from Energy Saving Trust
- the loan cannot be applied for retrospectively, i.e. after the ebike has been paid for in full
- applications are processed on a first come, first served basis all year round subject to the availability of loan funds. We reserve the right to suspend or reject applications in consultation with Transport Scotland on the grounds that there are insufficient funds available in any financial year to provide loans to all applicants
- applications are subject to credit and affordability checks
- the scheme is funded by Transport Scotland and administered by Energy Saving Trust, Second Floor, Ocean Point 1, 94 Ocean Drive, Edinburgh, EH6 6JH
Please note that this page contains information and links most relevant for people living in Scotland.
The ebike loan is funded by Transport Scotland and can help you purchase a new electric bike, including cargo and adapted cycles.
The popularity of pedal assisted electric bikes or ebikes for short, has been growing year on year. They are a good alternative to a normal bike especially if your route includes hills, is more than 5 miles long or if you need an extra boost on the road.
If you are considering purchasing an ebike, an exciting funding opportunity is available in Scotland through Energy Saving Trust. We offer an interest-free loan per household, repayable over 4 years, that can be used for:
- 2 x ebikes capped at £3,000 each
- 1 x family cargo bike capped at £6,000
- 1 x adapted cycle (value assessed on a case-by-case basis)
With the exception of an initial deposit, applicants must not make any other payment towards the purchase of the ebike(s) before receiving a loan offer under this programme as funding is not provided retrospectively.
The purchased ebike must comply with the UK Government’s eligibility criteria for Scotland.
How to apply?
For more information and to make an application, please call Home Energy Scotland on freephone 0808 808 2282.
Energy Saving Trust is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. This loan is subject to availability and terms and conditions apply.