We offer one-to-one consultancy through the Local Government Support Programme specifically for Local Authorities.
With the UK Government planning to end the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2035, and the increasing need to take action on climate change and air pollution, local authorities are looking to establish or expand their electric vehicle (EV) charging point provision.
Our resources help local authority officers deliver effective EV charging infrastructure, including webinars, case studies and best practice guidance.
You can also sign up to our Authority Alert newsletter for monthly updates.
Free consultancy and funding
Interested in what other councils are doing? Our webinars help local authority officers learn and share expertise for all things to do with low emission transport.
You can view all our previous webinars below.
Local authority EV forums
In partnership with the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) we host local authority EV forums for local authority officers in England. You can register for the next forum by emailing us.
The Scotland Transport team at Energy Saving Trust also host two national local authority EV forums each year. You can register your interest by emailing us at LGSP@est.org.uk.
LEVI Support Body roadshows
The Local Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (LEVI) support body roadshow aims to engage, educate and equip those involved in the planning and deployment of Electric Vehicle infrastructure.
- The next LEVI support body roadshow is on 23 January 2024 in Preston
- Watch the LEVI Roadshow presentations online, all the recordings are available on National EV Insight & Strategy (NEVIS) Which is free to access for all English Local Authorities.
- If you have a question, join our Teams Local Authority EV Discussion group. You can email us at LGSP@est.org for access.
Best practice guides and publications
We have compiled a list of guidance available on EV charging infrastructure for local authorities, working with the Electric Vehicle Energy Taskforce. This document provides links to publications from numerous organisations, arranged by theme, for planning and installing chargepoints.
You can also download our best practice guides below, aimed at local authority officers developing charging infrastructure networks.
- Positioning chargepoints and adapting parking policies for electric vehicles
- Minimising the costs of street works and grid connections for charging infrastructure
- Procuring electric vehicle chargepoints for local authorities
- Incorporating EV chargepoints into local planning policies for new developments
- A step-by-step guide for local authorities on transitioning the taxi trade to electric vehicles
- EV chargepoint accessibility for local authorities
- Forecasting public electric vehicle charging demand guide
- Example of an S curve model for EV uptake (.xlsx)
- Spatial data to gather and support the development of your EV strategy
Chargepoint power outputs
You should use the following chargepoint power output definitions:
|0 – < 3.7 kW|
|Standard||3.7 kW – <8 kW|
|Fast||8 kW – 49 kW|
|Rapid||50 kW – 149 kW|
|Ultra-rapid||150 kW and over|
Browse our case studies for ideas on how other local authorities are installing charging points.